Skip to main content

Summer week 27 & 28

Hi again,
You may be confused as to why i didn't write a blog last week and why i am doing this weeks early. Well lets just say its been a very eventful few weeks. I have been somewhat poorly and now know why.
Last week i was severely hit with nausea, dizziness and a number of other ailments that i probably shouldn't have kept to myself. I have also been getting a strange pain in my tummy next to my belly button. This pain has gotten gradually worse over the course of about 3 weeks and secretly i was really starting to worry about it. I found myself on the internet looking up my symptoms and coming up with all sorts of silly things.
Anyway yesterday i had a routine midwife appointment and told her all my symptoms. Funnily enough after having an excellent bill of health up until this point everything started to fall apart and they have discovered two things wrong with me and both sound far worse than they actually are (honestly).
The first is that my urine sample has shown up high levels of sugar which means i have gestational diabetes. I have to have further tests next Tuesday to find out what level i have and how serious it actually is. It will almost definitely just disappear after i have given birth although it does leave you with a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes later in life. It will simply be a case of working out a stricter diet and stop skipping meals etc. The implications of this on the baby are still very under-researched and the main thing they will check is the size of the baby as this can cause her to be a large baby (in some cases too large which will result in a ceasarean). But as i said i do not yet know which level i have and it is very dependent on that. Considering i have been absolutely healthy up until now means it is looking good for me.
The second thing they have discovered is that it is highly likely i have a stomach hernia! This will explain the pain i have been getting next to my belly button. Unfortunately for me there is very little they are willing to (or can) do until after the baby is born. So i just have to put up with the discomfort and pain. After the birth these type of hernias quite often sort themselves out but if it doesn't i will probably need to have it operated on before i have my next child. Again i don't think it is worth worrying about at the moment as there is nothing i can do.
My husband is being an angel and won't let me do anything now. I am under strict instructions (from him) not to lift anything and that includes simple things like doing the washing. I know he means well but i can see that this is going to get annoying. I think he is finding this all a bit difficult as i never ever get ill or at least if i do i tend to just carry on and not really tell anyone so to see me so vulnerable i think is difficult for him. He told me yesterday that for the first time ever he had spent the whole day worrying about what might happen to me or the baby and it really scared him. I honestly do not think anything bad will happen and i don't think you can really think like that anyway but it certainly makes you evaluate what is important in your life. He is being so attentive and considerate - i just hope he knows that i do really appreciate it.
Anyway i had to get all of this down while it was fresh in my mind. For the first time in weeks i actually don't feel particularly ill and i am sure its because it is all a bit clearer in my head now and i can stop being paranoid.
Lets move onto brighter things. Had a nightmare over the last two weeks trying to get the wardrobe & drawers delivered for the nursery. It finally came yesterday. I put the drawers together and they look fine although Phil was very cross as i should have been resting. I will probably have to wait until the weekend to get the wardrobe put together as Phil won't let me do it myself.
We also popped into toys 'r' us and got a cool changing table with shelves which transforms into a baby bath. Its on wheels for ease of use. Its so cool but we have put the wheels on slightly wrong and it is a bit wonky at the moment - the baby would probably roll right off it! Its easily sorted though.
I think thats about it for now. Next week i will be able to update you on my glucose tests.
Oh before i go i just want to say a massive congratulations to my sister for passing her degree and to my brother for passing his driving test. I am very very proud of you both as they are both huge achievements.
See you next week
Mum to be
XXXXXXXXXXX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s