Skip to main content

Weight wars

Dieting sucks!

It is really hard to stick to a healthy routine when you don't see the immediate effect. In August I am going on a beach holiday abroad for the first time in 5 years. For most this is something to be excited about for me this is filling me with dread. The thought of sitting on a beach in a swimsuit terrifies me as I lost my figure a long time ago and I don't want to subject people to seeing my giant arse making sandcastles with the kids.
So rather than get downhearted I started a healthy diet and have started frequenting the gym to try to rectify this situation.
Just to clarify I am not ON a diet or trying out the latest fads I am simply changing my eating habits and exchanging meals and snacks for healthy ones. I have even taken to having sweetener in my coffee rather than sugar. The biggest obstacle is trying to eat breakfast as I have never been able to eat so early in the day but apparently it is the best way to get your metabolism going so I am trying... had an apple this morning (not a great breakfast I admit but it is a start).

To understand why I see myself as massively overweight I need to take you back to my teenage years. I was a size 8 and on occasion would go up to a size 10 but never really went above this. I am only 5ft 2" so it was a good size for me (think Kylie as we are the same height). I have photographic proof (see below) I was also one of those really annoying people who could eat anything and not gain any weight. That said I have never been much of an eater anyway, I rarely get hungry and as a child would live on cucumber and crisps (not together obviously). Also my drink of choice has always been water, except now I am very partial to a coffee also.


I have traced my weight gain back to passing my driving test! I think this has a lot to do with it. I started driving when I was 20 and before that I would walk everywhere, now I just drive. To be honest this is not out of laziness it is more to do with limited time. Running around after the kids and working it is hard to squeeze everything in so adding an extra half hour for a journey that would take 5 minutes in the car is just not feasible most of the time.

Before I had Dexter I had finally found an exercise regime I really enjoyed. I was doing BodyFit Bootcamp with the brilliantly motivating Mark Raynsford. I did this 3 times a week and really started to feel the benefit. Exercising with a group of like minded people was great. If you started to flag the team would encourage you to continue and somehow I always found that extra strength because I didn't want to let the team down.
Mark also offered fantastic advice and posted mini sessions on his forum that you could do at home. I stopped when I fell pregnant with Dexter and went back shortly after having him but have now stopped due to cost and the lack of spare time. I would highly recommend it to anyone though www.bodyfitbootcamp.co.uk.

I have now joined the gym close to my work were I go for lunchtime sessions as often as I can. I have been doing this since beginning of January and alongside my healthy eating had hoped to start seeing some progress.
I am not big on using scales and would rather measure my weight by the dress size I wear or the belt hole I am on. But eager to see how much my hard work was paying off I got on the scales this week. At Christmas I was a size 16 and weighed 12st, which my doctor informed me meant I was obese, this week I am a dress size 16 and weigh 12st!!!
WTF!

This would lead me to think something I am doing is not right but I seriously could not be trying harder. A few weeks ago my family decided to have a Chinese takeaway but I held strong and made myself a tuna salad while I watched them gorge on the deliciously bad food. Last weekend we were shopping in town and they insisted on going to the food court. They ordered KFC and again I held strong and had a panini and a coffee (admittedly there were healthier options but I made the best of a bad situation and at least I didn't give in to the greasy chicken or the golden arches).

I will stick at this but my aim of being comfortable in a swimsuit by August are not looking good. I don't expect to go back to my teenage figure but I would at least like to choose my clothes based on what I like and not how well they hide the rolls around my midriff.

For now this is me (on the right) - pleasantly plump but still smiling






Comments

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself.

    Are you keeping track of the calories that you are eating? When I'm on the wagon, I use a great app on my phone called MyNetDiary. Weigh and measure everything you eat, everything you drink. Do it for a week. Track EVERYTHING. Log all of your exercise. After a week or so, you should have a better idea of portion sizes and can estimate more, if easier. If you stick to it, are within the calories that you should be taking in / expending and haven't lost any weight in a few weeks - take it to your doctor, show them and ask their advice.

    Also, take some measurements. Round your arms, legs, hips, bust, tummy. You may not have dropped any pounds or a dress size, but it's not an even process, so you may have lost an inch around your arms but not even notice.

    You're doing great, keep positive and keep going! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s