Skip to main content

Re-branded - the husband history


Don’t you just hate it when you start to follow a blog and then they just stop posting...? Me too!

I enjoy a good blog but it has been difficult to get back into as I hit a massive stumbling block. The focus of my site was pregnancy and the fact that I am no longer pregnant means I needed to find a new direction/ focus.

So I will be reporting on the shenanigans of my long suffering husband and 5, going on 15, year old daughter who cracks me up daily with her wise words and mood swings (think Kevin and Perry in a miniature body!). Not wanting to miss anyone out I may even throw in a few cute stories about my 10 month old son because everyone loves a good projectile vomiting story :)

So in today's first, re-branded, installment I thought I should give some background on the husband.
Phil and I met at school and much like Romeo and Juliette we were destined to be apart, divided by social differences and misguided loyalties (we went to opposing schools!). My school (Kings Manor) and Phil's (St Peter's) were arch enemies that met on occasion for, very cleverly coordinated, battles on the playing fields. My best friend at the time went to the enemy school and mentioned a boy I must see who has the most stunning electric blue eyes. It just so happened we were very good stalkers and worked out where his best mate lived and hung out so we would make sure we were there at the right time. My friend had not exaggerated and I had decided there and then that I wanted to marry this boy... or his cute mate (we will come back to him later).
me - bottom left, Phil - bottom right (not an actual school picture, my school wasn't that rough)


Time passed and we grew up. I never dated him or even said more than two words to him and eventually didn't see him hanging about anymore until about 4 years later, on a chance encounter on a night out. I caught his eye and to my utter surprise he marched straight towards me and struck up our first ever proper conversation. To my delight we got on really well and actually had a lot in common. He told me how much he had always fancied me but was too shy to ask me out. With the alcohol fueled confidence he asked me for a date but as fate would have it I had a boyfriend and had to turn him down. I was gutted! My boyfriend was travelling in Australia at the time and little did I know he was on his way home to dump me :( but always the loyal girlfriend I would not cheat no matter how much will power it took.

I bumped into Phil again a week later in Guildford High street on a Saturday night. I was on my way to Cinderella’s nightclub with my cousin when he stopped me. He explained it was his mate’s birthday but had lost him. He suspected his mates had got a cab back home to carry on the birthday celebrations and as I lived a stone’s throw from his friend's house did I want to share a cab. By this point my cousin had carried on without me and was not even in sight anymore so I said what the hell. Phil invited me to his mates for a few more drinks. He was right and his mates were there, very surprised to see me though. As I walked in I wished his mate a happy birthday, he thanked me and pointed out his birthday was 6 months ago! I glared at Phil who simply said "I had to get you here somehow". I later discovered his nickname was bullshit Phil as he would live by the code "why tell the truth if a lie was more interesting and could get you a laugh."

We were inseparable after that night and I knew this was it. At 18, I had not even considered settling down but that one night changed everything and I started to imagine a mortgage, pets, children etc.
A month later I went on a girl’s holiday to Ayia Napa (already booked it before we met). I was a good girl and made sure I contacted him over the two week break. On my return I was greeted with a huge green emerald ring and a very unconvincing engagement proposal. Clearly I turned him down but on the understanding that we would do it one day just not after a month of dating and at 18 years of age when my parents would actually kill me or just assume I was pregnant. It also gave me the opportunity to suggest that I pick the ring next time!!!!
Phil was visibly relieved and explained he had gone into panic mode and thought he needed to make a big gesture to keep me. He forced me to go with him to return the ring - an incredibly awkward moment for the shop assistant!

Phil is one of the sweetest and funniest men I have ever dated. We were engaged 3 years later and had a daughter 7 years on. We have been together for almost 13 years now and are still as happy as we were back then. We have had our ups and downs like all marriages but always had the strength to pull through it and I put it down to genetics. You see we work in a very role reversal way - I have control of the remote and can be emotionally stunted. Phil on the other hand is always considerate of me, cleans the house and does the school runs. I am not sure of many men who would put up with me as I am one of the lads and I like a pint, I am not a girly girl and never have been. I just go against all the stereotypes. Saying that, I don't know many women who can laugh off his bullshitting which he is better at nowadays and reading this back I realise it makes him sound awful but the truth is he lies about the silly inconsequential stuff which is why it is funny (if he had to walk a mile he would tell you he walked 20 miles - that sort of thing), he actually can't help it. He also has no brain to mouth filter so will tell you exactly what is on his mind, I love this about him as you always know where you stand, we call these thoughts philisms and they always keep me entertained.



So the moral of this story is that stalking pays off and if you set your mind to marrying someone when you are 14 it can happen. Oh and his cute mate is now married to my friend (although not the one who introduced us) and is a huge part of our lives too.

Welcome back to my blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s