Skip to main content

The Kat wanted a dog

A very unexpected scenario has played out over the last two days surrounding a chocolate Labrador puppy that I have not even met.
I had always wanted a dog especially since the family dog died quite a few years ago in a Marley and me fashion. It was all very sad and Abbie, my black, rather old Labrador had to be put down. As both my husband and I worked full time we thought cats would be better suited to our lifestyles. So for a birthday gift one year I was given two, very cute, black, Siamese cross bred kittens that I still have today.

About a year ago my husband landed a job where he consulted as a financial adviser and worked mainly from his home office. We quickly realised this situation meant we could in fact have a dog. It was decided that we should wait until the cats died before we did that. Our cats are now 8 and still have plenty of life left but I am getting very impatient.
Our current lives and situation is screaming out for a dog. We regularly take long walks in large woodland areas, holiday in places where dogs are allowed and have a very pet friendly home.

My daughters 4th birthday is approaching and a dog is all she asks for. Then yesterday during conversation it transpires that my friend's dog walker has two chocolate Labrador puppies that he has to home separately. She explained that obviously he would need to meet us and maybe spend some time with the family to make sure we could give him a good home. Of course the dog had to like us too!
Speaking to my husband, who is usually the impulsive one, he listed out the practicalities and pointed out that with a baby on the way this really wasn't a good time.

Overnight I seem to have really latched onto the idea. Today I tried various blackmailing techniques to persuade my husband like sending him pictures of what he probably looks like and I even put a proposal together about how we would manage and afford him.

...It didn't work. I am now admitting defeat and cannot justify getting a new pet if the whole family doesn't want one. Heartbroken doesn't even begin to cover it and my husband is banned from talking about it.

It is probably for the best but is there ever a right time for a dog?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s