Skip to main content

Go with your instincts

My instincts are rarely wrong and yet again this has proved to be the case. When my midwife told me I would need to have consultant led care I was rather surprised and bemused. None of my family or medical history has changed since the first pregnancy and I couldn't see any other reason to be so heavy handed with my care.
So I went along to the hospital appointment last week to see the consultant. What a complete and utter waste of time.
First off I had to wait an hour and a half to be seen which didn't put me in the best of moods, this coupled with the fact that the waiting room was filled with women who were either morbidly obese or very young meant I really didn't want to be there.
I eventually got seen after complaining about the wait. I hate complaining but it is amazing how quickly after that I was seen so maybe my husband is right and it does have its benefits. So I met Mrs Watkins who was very nice. After going through a list of questions she also had the bemused look that I had on her face and very matter of factly said "I am seriously unsure why you have been sent to me, You won't need to come again" and "I think your midwife was a bit gung-ho".
The questions that had originally raised the alarms were: does anyone in yours or your husband immediate family have any heart problems, my answer was yes as my mother in law had heart surgery a few years ago. This apparently has no relevance on my health as she is my in law. Next - Could you give more detail on the heart palpitations you suffered during the last pregnancy, I said that I was told to cut out caffeine which seemed to control it and I haven't had a reoccurrence. This again therefore, had no relevance to this pregnancy. Next - Could you give more detail on the hernia you were diagnosed with during the last pregnancy, I said that I have had no problems with it since and it only hurt when I was heavily pregnant. The consultant then asked if I had a lump or my belly button popped out, both of which I answered with a no. She then informed me that I had therefore been misdiagnosed and it could not have been a hernia. The last question referenced a couple of cervical biopsies I’d had years ago. She said "it says here you have had to cone biopsies" to which I replied "what is a cone biopsy" she went on to explain that a cone biopsy is quite severe and they remove the whole top layer of your cervix while you are under general anaesthetic. This is not what I had had done at all, mine was very small and unpainful biopsies which I underwent while conscious. I have no idea why the midwife would have written something that I clearly hadn't said so the consultant just said that again these biopsies have no relevance to my pregnancy!
The thing I was most concerned and annoyed about (my weight) didn't even factor into the conversation. All she said is that because my BMI is over 30 (it is 30.7!) I will have to have an additional scan at 34 weeks which isn't a bad thing really. Anyway she let me hear the heartbeat again before leaving and sending in another midwife.
This midwife, Clare, was really nice and just relayed what had just been discussed and what would be sent to my doctor. Then she asked if I would take part in a research study they were doing in partnership with Cardiff University on pregnancy in obese women. She told me that I would have to fill out 3 questionnaires at different stages and they would send me a £10 voucher for the baby and 12 free slimming world vouchers so I said what the hell, sign me up.
The worst part about my pointless visit to the hospital was after the appointment when I was waiting at the desk to get a scan appointment date and I noticed an area slightly separate from the other waiting room and in there was a midwife who seemed to be consoling a lady who looked to be about 5 or 6 months pregnant. I was trying to not be nosey but I caught a few odd words and it was obvious she had lost her baby. I almost broke into tears then and there. Miscarriages happen all the time and I am not saying that it is easy at any stage of pregnancy but when it happens at the later stage it must be worse. You have grown so attached to the idea by then and the absolute worst part is that you have to go through the birthing process. Being at 5 months myself I just really felt for her and the very thought of going through that myself really upset me.
The really good news is that I have my second scan next week and I may or may not find out the sex. Check back next week to find out!
Kat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s