Skip to main content

The main event

Firstly apologies for the delay in writing this, I have been somewhat pre-occupied but I will get to that.
So last Monday was induction day. I nervously approached Frimley hospital at 9am with my husband and sister. After being sent to three different wards we eventually found the right one only to be told that my sister could not come in as you are only allowed one person to accompany you (something they insist was in the leaflet they gave me but I really do not recall reading it). So I had to send my poor sister packing with the promise of a call to come up when they moved me to the deliver suit.

In the leaflet it said induction could take up to 48 hours so I was preparing myself for the worst. They inserted a propess (pessary) which is a bit like a mini tampon. It releases hormones toward the cervix to try to bring on labour. Within half an hour to my surprise the contractions began. I was told the baby was quite high so I was encouraged to walk about the hospital as much as I could. We walked to the cafe so phil could get some food. When we returned I was told Phil could not come back on the ward because between 1pm to 3pm is rest time and no one other than patients were allowed in. This was not welcome news considering I was getting contractions, it was nice to have the moral support of my husband.
So Phil went to work for a bit and came back at 3pm. I managed to get a bit of sleep to prepare for the long night ahead.

So eventually I thought I felt my waters break, we told the nurse who was pleased and checked how dilated I was. I was only at 3cm though so still a long way to go. The contractions were almost on top of each other and getting stronger each time. I had a bath to try to help ease the pain but eventually I begged them to let me go to the delivery room so that I could access some proper drugs and not just codeine. So at 9pm they examined me again and said that if I was at least 4cm they would take me through. I was 4cm so with a huge sigh of relief I was sent through to the delivery suit. We quickly called my sister to get up to the hospital as she was my back up birthing partner. I was even quicker to get the gas and air which was amazing.

It was at this point I made a strange decision that I was not going to have an epidural and see how far I could get with just gas and air. I genuinely thought I could do it.

I met my midwife and was told that they had to continuously monitor me because I was a high risk pregnancy which meant having the baby hooked up to a heart monitor and having the midwife by my side the whole time. Luckily she was lovely and throughout the night we had a good laugh together - yes really a good laugh. It got to the point were a midwife put her head around the door to find out what we were all laughing at. Phil was on top form with his comedy and it kept me going through some painful moments.

My fluids were too low and my temperature was up so I was hooked up to a drip for extra fluids. More wires to keep taking to the loo with me through the night!!!!
After a few very painful internal examinations they established that my waters had not actually broken! so they were broken for me. I felt like I had flooded the room!
From that moment the contractions became completely unbearable and is tarted to dilate very quickly. At this point I realised I had to have an epidural after all. After another examination I was 8cm so the midwife suggested we do it fast but I had to do another wee sample first. I went to the loo absent my gas and air when another contraction hit. Without the pain relief I became the shouty woman you see on the telly and had to be rescued from the loo. The midwife looked at me and suggested it was too late for the epidural. My response was quick and swift "I AM HAVING THAT EPIDURAL NO MATTER WHAT!" the anaesthetist didn't think it would kick in in time but I said I didn't care and to do it anyway. Luckily it kicked in quick. While they were putting it in the midwife asked if I was getting the urge to push to which I replied no - this was a bare faced lie as I was scared that if I said yes they would stop the epidural.

Oh the relief when the it kicked in was incredible. Unfortunately it slowed everything down for another 5 hours. This was sort of good for me though as it gave me time to have a power nap and prepare for the next important bit - pushing.
Unfortunately for my midwife her shift was over and a new midwife swooped in for the glory of actual delivery.
The new midwife Janine was completely different and really upbeat which is actually what we needed after being awake all night. We were also joined by a medical student who was expecting his first child too. So he had a vested interest in the whole thing.

So the time came to push. I pushed a couple of times and the midwife stopped me and said actually I want you to push until the biggest part of baby's head is out and then just stop and breathe through your contractions. I did this and to everyones surprise the baby started coming out by himself. The contractions just aided to push him out as I simply sat there breathing. The midwife didn't even touch him. To my bigger surprise both phil and my sister watched the whole thing from the business end and phil even cut the cord. 15 minutes of pushing is all it took to get him out. My perfect little boy was finally here! The midwife said she had not seen such a perfect birth for 20 years and that I should be very proud of myself.
I only needed a few minor stitches too.

I was then told that summer could come to the delivery suit to visit me and 4 hours after giving birth I was told if I really wanted to I could go home. I didn't even make it to the maternity ward which is such a bonus!

My experience at Frimley hospital was brilliant and I just felt really looked after. It helped that one of the midwives on night shift used to be my daughters childminder for 3 years and looked after us too.

I cannot thank all the staff especially my two midwives enough for a great and magical experience. Also a huge thankyou to my sister and husband who helped me through, especially those early hours when I felt like I couldn't go on. Amazing support and I am just so happy to have shared my experience with them.

So Dexter David Henden was born at 10.24 am on the 27th March after a 23 hour labour.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do what makes you most happiest...

This is something I have long forgotten but something I am aiming to rectify. I have been looking inwardly for a while now as I realised I have lost myself a bit. I have spent so long being mum, wife, councillor, chauffer, chef, cleaner, dog walker business owner etc etc etc (you get the idea) that I don't really know who I am anymore or what makes me tick. My son asked me last Mothers day what I would like to do as it was 'my day' - I honestly couldn't answer and my 11 year old boy just said "that's really sad". He was absolutely right, that is sad! When did I just stop living my own life to serve everyone else? I like to paint and have recently made time to complete a run of adult paint by numbers to decorate my living room with. I also started doing acrylic paintings and watching some Bob Ross for inspiration. This is a good start but I'm not passionate about it. Today I remembered what I used to be passionate about and that was writing so I am back

Dark cloud closes in

During my second pregnancy I wrote about my battle with, and subsequent diagnosis, of depression. During this time I stopped my medication and assured myself that I would reconsider the pills after I had my baby. When Dexter arrived I felt fine and strong enough to go it alone. This tactic has worked up until recently. Having a 5 year old who rebels against everything you say, an 11 month baby who just won't sleep, a husband desperately trying to give up smoking, a hectic, full time work schedule - throw into the mix money worries, family worries, going on an extreme diet, beginning a novel and seemingly untreatable psoriasis and you can start to understand why the downward spiral is happening again. For me the key to all of this is to recognise when it is happening which isn't always easy until it has gone too far and the dark cloud has really set in. Deflection is something I adopt when the pressure is on. Rather than admit that I am not in control of my mood swings

A very honest post from Week 27

Well Christmas and New Year were eventful and not in a good way. I had, what was quite possibly, the worst Christmas ever for reasons I will detail in this blog. It began around the beginning of December. My 4 year old daughter seems to have become possessed. She started playing up and has gotten naughtier by the day. It started with her saying no to everything and refusing to do anything we tell her such as getting dressed, eating her dinner or simply not answering back to us. This progressed and she started being a smart arse with us saying things like "I don't have to do that if I don't want to" and "you can't tell me what to do". She has basically turned into a stroppy teenager overnight. We are yet to find a punishment that works on her, she just seems to be completely emotionless toward anything we implement. At the moment she has had most of her Christmas presents confiscated and has to earn them back through good behaviour but she doesn't s